Friday, May 7, 2010

EXERCISE HELPS!

I don't know if everyone responds as I did but I went from this to completely de conditioned with one swipe of the knife!

I got such mixed information about what it was like after surgery.

My surgeon was a no nonsense talker. "You will have to change your life, it will take a year to feel close to normal and 2 years to be able to become as active as you will be able to be".

He went on to tell me I would not be able to do high impact sports or exercise after having 3 levels fused in my neck...ever! I would have to learn to walk up hills or find other ways to get in shape.

I thought he was exaggerating!

Others told me it was going to be no big deal, that I'll be up and about in no time... Yeah right!

At this point in my recovery I am believing him. I'm 9 months out and still feel a bit stiff and sore. I'm doing my DVDs but only the low impact. I'm grateful to be able to do that. I'm not as firm as I was before but I know that will improve as time goes on.

The not knowing was the worst for me. I didn't know if I would ever be able to sit in a chair with no back or be able to get a big hug from friends. I couldn't do either for the first 4 to 6 months. I felt like my head was going to fall off!

It has gotten much better for me. I know I have to make changes in my exercise routines and such but the pain I was having is not there anymore so it was worth it.

Today I'm grateful to be able to get up and try to do something with my life. I'm getting back on the horse!


Lynn Hahn    www.getrealfit.org

No comments:

Post a Comment